Sunday, July 18, 2010

A diet is a diet

When I told my husband about The Joyful Sisterhood he gave me that look and said “ if I counted all the diets that you have been on…” my comment was that if I had not been on those diets I would be as big as a house by now. It is true that I have gained 10# for every decade since I was in my teens but I am still able to camouflage my weight well. The truth is that if the average baby weighs 7# I would be carrying triplets and I can remember carrying one was difficult. It is no wonder that I puff and pant when I walk fast or climb stairs.
No matter what you call eating, it involves a diet. It can be a healthy diet, a junk food diet, the fruit diet, a low carb diet, a high protein or a balanced diet but like it or not it is a diet. We need to give up our denial and look the facts in the face. We are going to have to choose a diet.
Growing up with a mother who was never happy with herself because of her weight caused my sister and I to vow that we would never get fat and feel that miserable about ourselves. The problem was that watching our weight meant watching our weight. I have kept a journal for years and I thought that one-day my children and grandchildren would read my journals and my journals would be filled with wisdom. What a shock to find that when I read back over them they were filled with whining about my weight or PMS. There were some wise comments but they mainly came from another author.
As Dr Kara Davis said in her book Spiritual Secrets to Weight Loss “we are digging our own graves, one forkful at a time”. On second thoughts I wonder how long that would take. No seriously, the closer we are to the grave the more thought we give to keeping the body we travel in healthy.
I want to start somewhere so I will start here hopefully with the fellowship of sisters (or brothers) who will encourage me along.
Be patient with every one, but above all with yourself. I mean, do not be disturbed because of your imperfections, and always rise up bravely from a fall. I am glad that you make a daily new beginning; there is no better means of progress in the spiritual life than to be continually beginning afresh, and never to think we have done enough. Francis De Sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment