Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How do you show 'your' grief?

A couple of Saturdays ago I decided to trim the yard with a weed-whacker. As I was pushing in the plug I did not realise that I also had my fingers on the start button so when the plug was completely in the stupid thing went to work as it was suppose to. The wire attacked my feet and shins and I did the maniac dance. My husband tried to help but I needed to find that place of calm for myself. Once I was pain free I went back to work but I was in too close a proximity to my husband and began to shower him with dirt and stones. He was not at all pleased and in response I threw the weed-whacker on the ground and went crying into the bathroom. My tears were so intense and so out of proportion to the silly event that just happened. As I sat there on the toilet seat weeping into toilet tissues I asked myself what on earth was going on. I realized that I was releasing the grief that I had buried and ignored. The was a lady at work who was dying and her husband never left her side. When I asked how he was doing, he said "it is not about me, it is all about her." I explained that we cared for the whole family and he was grateful. He still did not leave her side and he only slept for two hours at a time. His love for her was so magnified in those last days and I could not deny the grief. Once I acknowledged my own sadness I could release the pain. I went on and defeated the weed-whacker and the yard.

2 comments:

  1. How do you recognize your grief may be another title!
    Many years ago I had a week at work where I started misplacing keys, notes, etc - very out of character for me. As I commented to a co-worker "I don't know what's going on, I never lose my keys" she matter-of- factly said "you are dealing with cumulative grief". What? Me? Cumulative grief? And indeed, as I thought about the possibility that I was grieving the out of character behaviors stopped, and I realized that in hospice things can sneak up on you over time - it is not always a clear single experience that pushes you over the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great insight and thank you for commenting on this blog. I am sure that as the following gets bigger we will all learn so much from each other.

    ReplyDelete